Motivational Interview Training: 5 Week Course
Remote Meeting Only
Monday, November 08, 2021
- Friday, December 10, 2021
Eastern Standard Time
The League is excited to offer a virtual full length Motivational Interview Training for CHC staff who work with patients with Diabetes. Nursing and Dietician CEUs can be earned upon training completion. Details, dates, and learning objectives are described below and please reach out to KC (email@example.com) with any questions.
Dates: Weeks of November 8th – December 10th
LIVE Sessions: Live Zoom sessions will be 11/12, 11/18, 12/2 and 12/9 11am-1pm.
This training will be a blend of didactic material with ample time devoted to learning and practicing skills. Participants will learn the principles, processes and strategies of MI, and will learn to distinguish between sustain and change talk. Upon completion, participants will apply the foundations of MI in their work and explore opportunities to incorporate MI adherent strategies into routine conversations with clients.
This training will take place via a hybrid format of instructor-led asynchronous components and live (via Zoom, 4 sessions @ 2 hours each) practice sessions over a five-week period. The expected time required to complete the course is roughly 3-5 hours per week for a total of about 15-25 hours. All participants receive feedback: written feedback on activities submitted (partner practice work), and in the moment verbal feedback in live practice sessions. This is an intensive course covering the learning typically involved in both a basic MI training and an intermediate level training.
- Discuss the four principles of Motivational Interviewing (Spirit of MI).
- Discuss the four processes of Motivational Interviewing.
- Demonstrate four skills used in Motivational Interviewing (OARS).
- Differentiate between change talk and sustain talk.
- Demonstrate the “Testing the Waters” framework to test readiness for planning within an MI conversation.
- Demonstrate the 5-step process to develop an MI based Action Plan.